Since I can remember I’ve been a creative, and a dreamer. Even now I have many ideas going through mind, on a daily basis. It’s amazing how God created us with such a vivid imagination that gives us a vision to accomplish His will.
Although as a wife, mom and full-time homemaker, I have many responsibilities that take precedence over my ideas, but that doesn’t mean my dreams are in vain. What I’ve come to understand is that I have to choose what dreams are worth pursuing.
Today, I would like to share with you 5 ways to go after your dreams with purpose.
- Begin with prayer. First, talk to God about your dreams. Determine if they are parallel to the life you are living for Him. Carefully (but loosely) plan, then act.
The heart of man plans his way,
but the Lord establishes his steps. -Proverbs 16:9 (ESV)
- Count the cost. It’s wise to take inventory of the blood, sweat and tears needed to make your dreams a reality. Ask yourself the following the questions: How much time do you need to pursue this dream? How will this affect your family or other responsibilities? Can you make room for this activity? Is it the right timing, or do you need to wait?
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?-Luke 14:28 (ESV)
- Preparation. Make time in your life to work on your dreams. Develop a realistic strategy that includes short and long-term goals along with an action plan to accomplish them.
Prepare your work outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and after that build your house.-Proverbs 24:27
- Trust God in the process. A dream is fun and exciting during the honeymoon stage. There will come a time when it begins to appear difficult or inconvenient, remind yourself of why you are doing this in the first place.
Look to God for the strength and perseverance you need to pursue your goals. Don’t give in to fear or excuses, you are not the first person to experience insecurities, short-comings or doubt.
Here is what God told Joshua, and I think we can find encouragement from this passage, regarding our own journey:
Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success[ wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:7-9 (ESV)
- Embrace the initial stages. We live in an instant gratification world, and we may think that our ideas are going to become an overnight success; minus the long hours and hard work. Slow and steady may seem unpopular, but it establishes the solid foundation and character training we need as we work towards our dreams.
Most of our dreams will have a humble beginning, before becoming great.
We are reminded in Zephaniah that small steps are an important part of the process:
Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin… -Zephaniah 4:10(NLT)
Our dreams are exciting works of art, and a gift from our loving Father. We can honor the Lord by trusting Him and faithfully moving forward!
Are you dreaming with intention today?
Love this! I especially love that you included COUNT THE COST because it WILL cost us something and many times we complain when we have to pay the price. It’s very easy to visualize and daydream about the God Dream but bringing it to fruition can cost sleepless nights, personal trials, confronting fears, sacrifice of wants, impact to family and more.
Melanie Fagan says
Wonderful article! Dreams are so very important in achieving all God has for us!
Charlene Maugeri says
These are such great tips! I could really work on the trusting God one… I love how you backed all your points up with scripture!
Robyn A Talbert says
awesome ! awesome! yes , so encouraging as i am just in the infant stages of my blogging!!! staying in my line and submitting to the process…i truly wish i could move faster lol but God is helping me to be prayerful and patient and stay motivated! Thanks Nisha!